13 March 2011

Plans.

So, in the wake of the devastation in Japan, Boyfriend and I are seriously considering going up there to help with the relief efforts after we graduate. We'd love to go sooner, but right now we'd just get in the way. I'm hoping we can volunteer through an aid organization like the Red Cross and stay for two weeks or a month or so--maybe longer if we can spare it. I'll be sure to take notes while I'm there. I would stay all summer if I wasn't planning on going to Denver for the Publishing Institute. I did some number crunching and it looks like it's going to cost about $6k total, with a nonrefundable $1K deposit due in a week. To go, I'm going to have to take out a loan, which I'm not happy about at all, but I should be able to pay it all off within a year thanks to the Stipend UCF was so generous to offer me. I am just waiting to hear back from UCF that my assistantship is renewable, and then I'll go ahead and decline everywhere else.

Things are falling into place and it is really rather bizarre. It's a good thing, I guess. For now, though, I need to focus on the task at hand. It may be my Spring Break, but my Thesis is due in a month and I do not have nearly enough of it finished. So I'm going to work on that, and hopefully get 70-80% done this week. I realize that's ambitious, but I really don't have the extra time to spare. :/

4 comments:

  1. That is so awesome that you're going to Japan to help! I thought about it myself, but there's no way I could raise that much to go. Instead I'm finding ways to help here if I can. And I can relate to working over Spring Break. I've got a paper to write and journals I'm going to try and get ahead on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm still not 100% sure I'll be able to go help. Even if not, I'm doing what you're doing, and seeing what I can do while I'm here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you get to go! It sounds wonderful. Good luck with all of your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy Denver! And I hope you and boyfriend get to go to Japan to help out. Good luck with the thesis, too - can I take a peek at it when you're done/close to done?

    <3

    ReplyDelete