13 January 2011

The Rights and Wrongs of Interpreting Literature

A friend of mine posted a Cracked article about common interpretations not aligning with the authorial intent of six popular novels.

While this discrepancy may be interesting, once a work is published authorial intent doesn't matter. What a book is and what it means is entirely dependent on the relationship between the text and the reader. Books are read differently by different people. Books very personal, they connect intimately and differently with each and every reader, because the background and experiences of each individual person allow each reading of the work to be different, even if it is read by the same person. Once an author sends a work away, it can never be theirs anymore. It belongs to the readers. There is no "right" or "wrong" to literature, only as long as you can support your argument with valid examples from the text. :)


(As a side note, my lit classes, I keep having thoughts and ideas about writing that I feel merit more discussion than was provided in class and I would like to engage further as a blog topic... By all means, I am encouraging discussion. I'll try to keep track of these ideas as I get them and (hopefully) post at least one a day. I'm also going to try and keep each post centered about one particular topic, rather than touching on several in one post, even if that means more than one post a day. But I'm going to try and avoid that.)

No comments:

Post a Comment