01 December 2010

Graphic Novel & My Second Undergraduate Thesis

So, I completed my first graphic novel this week! Its really more like a comic, only 8 pages long, and I need to tweak it, and maybe add an extra page of dialogue, but still, I drew, scanned, outlined, colored, added text, and submitted it for workshop, so I'm very pleased with myself.

The entire process took about 30+ hours or so. Extremely time consuming. The easiest part was just laying out the panels and what I wanted where. What took the longest was reformatting the panels on the computer (turns out I can't draw straight lines to save my life), and coloring. Even though I drew everything in stick figures, it still took an obnoxious amount of time. Its not perfect, but still, for my first full-length comic, "it's pretty damn good," as my professor stated.

Speaking of which, he suggested I draw a creative nonfiction one, and I got excited and asked if I could do that for my Departmental Honors thesis. When I first signed up for thesis, I was told that I could use my old thesis from Honors College for Departmental Honors, by when I inquired last week, I was told that I still needed to earn my three credits and that I should expand my original thesis or prepare it for publication.

Frankly put, I am completely sick and tired of that piece of work. I don't want to touch it, I don't want to deal with it, I'm done. So is Ira. So he's agreed to be my Director again, and help me work on completing another graphic novel, this time in creative nonfiction.

(You know, I have more pages of CNF than I do of F, and yet I'm still applying to grad school in F. It seems strange... I guess I write more CNF because it's harder and more of a challenge... but I do enjoy F also... I dunno. Whatever gets me into grad school. From there hopefully they'll let me take classes in CNF as well as F.)

I'm excited. :)

1 comment:

  1. Yay! You should totally do it and our prof looked so obviously exhausted and fed-up when you two were talking about how tired you were of the piece lol. It'll be refreshing to work on something else, I think.

    I'm excited for you! Hopefully some of the excitement has worn off some of the grad school application anxiety? ;)

    ReplyDelete