22 November 2010

The Expectations of Others

Yesterday my Godsister/little cousin came to visit campus for an all-day outreach/recruitment event. I walked around with her on a tour of campus, ate lunch with her at one of the food halls, and went to a special engineering meeting/tour. She's interested in aeronautical engineering, architecture, and dance. She's stuck between art and math, like me, so I feel her pain. That was actually most of what we talked about that day--how to choose. But she's only a junior in high school, so she's got plenty of time to figure out what she wants to do. Basically I just told her to go with her heart (because she's phenomenal at both art/dance and math/science), and if she finds out she doesn't like it anymore, she can always change her mind. That's what I did.

While we were at the engineering meeting, we ran into an advisor for one of the clubs I am vice president of. I said hi and complimented him on his suit, and introduced him to my little cousin. Later that day, after I had left her to run across the street to see the new Harry Potter movie (I tried to get her a ticket but it was sold out), she told me that she ran into my advisor again and they talked about me. She said he "Told me he was :( bc u are so good at math and u left it for english."

:/

Well, that pretty much makes me feel like crap.


I do miss science and math and engineering. I miss the rhythmic number crunching and and graphing and analyzing data, dealing with real-world problems and creating realistic solutions for them. Studying how the world works, and being able to predict its behavior. I know I would have made a phenomenal physicist, an excellent engineer. And I may have loved it, too. I could have done so much, could have really made an impact in society, regardless of how small it was.

And yet I left it all. For what? For words. For the promise of paychecks one-third in value. For a degree in something I would have done in my spare time anyways. I can do the math but it makes me tired and frustrated. I gave up, and came to this. Yes, obviously I love this, and I love what I'm studying, and I love what I'm doing, and I love the potential there is to be a teacher, an editor, an author. But. I can't help but wonder.

Did I make the right choice?

I loved physics and robotics, too.

Like I told my cousin, one can always change their mind. I did it once. I'm sure I could do it again, if need be. If I missed it enough.

I might.

5 comments:

  1. That's a huge struggle I went through when I turned away from the veterinary path I had planned and obsessed over for so long. Like you said, you could always try it again if you really wanted to again. =] *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. It was a big deal when I first switched, but it's been a while, and it's like picking at an old scab, making the wound fresh again. :/

    I hate disappointing people, but when you try to make everyone happy, no one is happy, least of all yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww. I would miss you in English! But, no worries either way. It probably doesn't matter which track you choose, hun. You'll be phenomenal in either! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try the most to please yourself and don't mind the wants of others (at least not so much). It's then you shine the brightest. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think you have to choose. There are ways of doing both of them and no one is stopping you. Its not easy but if anyone can figure it out, you can :) You're lucky enough to be amazing at math/science and english... I'm sure you are going to do some awesome things and I have no doubt that you'll make an impact in society!

    ReplyDelete