19 December 2010

Ready to Rock and Roll

So I'm back from my trip to Virginia (I've only been back in Florida for about 5ish hours now...) and the only thing I'm going to say is that it was phenomenal! :] And completely needed. I was very excited that we got snow!


This is the first snowman I've ever made! You can tell it's a boy because of the leaf. :]

So anyways. Back to the writing. (Because I guess that's what you're all here for?)

All seven of my applications to Florida schools with MFA programs in creative writing (UF, UCF, FSU, USF, UM, FIU, FAU) are out. I submitted the fees, the transcripts, and all of the materials (namely the statement of intent and the writing sample). The writing sample was the most nerve-racking, because I was really ambitious with it. I submitted the first two chapters of a science fiction / steam punk novel I am working on (this is risky because it is a genre piece, and for some unknown reason genre tends to be frowned upon), and then for the schools that wanted more pages, I submitted a graphic novel. The term "graphic novel" is kind of misleading because it implies something lengthy... mine was only 8 pages long. More like a comic, then, but it was an adaptation of a piece of flash fiction, so there's not much you can do with only about 1000 words. But it was in full color! And I'm quite pleased with it. But that's also very risky because it's not only a piece of writing... it is art. Stick figure art, to be specific...


Don't judge Mr. Stick getting wasted with his buddies. There's a good cause behind it.

I can actually draw, but I liked sticking with the stick figures because of how identifiable they can be. :) Plus, it made drawing, inking, and coloring about a zillion times faster. But, as I was saying before, submitting a graphic piece is risky. I hope the universities see that as a good thing, though. That it is pushing boundaries and realizing that graphic novels are really starting to gain attention as legitimate literature. If not... well, there's always next year. :/ (I'd rather not, these applications are expensive!!)

Speaking of applications and their cost, I'm kind of stuck now. I'm going to start working on applications to all of the summer publishing institutes (U of Denver, NYU, Columbia) as well as any out-of-state programs. :) I'll keep you updated on my progress as I go along. For not the work shouldn't be that bad, I'll just keep using the same basic format for my statement of intent, and I'll be using the same writing samples... I just need to wait for after Christmas so that I can have enough money to pay for my applications and transcripts and such.

Speaking of transcripts, grades for last semester came out. I am so relieved. Got a 3.73 for the semester, and my cumulative GPA rose a hundredth of a point (to 3.68). Yay! The semester from hell didn't turn out so bad after all. (Although, I should note that MFA programs don't really look at your GPA or your resume or your GRE scores or anything like that. All they really want to see is your writing sample. Which is good and bad at the same time. :/)

As a last little note (I'm sorry this post is so long, thanks for bearing with me), I want to say hi and happy holidays to all of my readers. I've come to the realization that there are a lot more of you out there than I thought, so I want to thank you for bearing with me and my slight insanity and constant rambling. If you don't mind, I'd like some feedback. What do you want to read? More personal anecdotes? Or just writing about writing? Or something in-between? Do you want snippets of my actual prose? Or more pictures? Or comics? Or what? (Just wondering.)

Thank you for reading, and for those of you who leave me wonderful encouraging comments, a special thank you to you. :) I really appreciate it. You all are awesome. :]

5 comments:

  1. hi! I love the fact that you are balancing your love of science with your love of writing...me, too! Hopkins has an MA in medical-science writing, FYI....and the deadline is rolling, since it starts at numerous points throughout the year. :) Good luck with applications!!! I am right there with you....haven't submitted any yet! :/ (nonfiction)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Jaime, thanks for the advice! I'll definitely have to look into that. :] Good luck with your apps, too! <3 nonfiction. :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty proud of you for getting all of your applications out. Can't wait to hear where you got in! What your doing with this blog is fine. Keep tracking your life, documenting your work and being as creative as possible about it always. Can't wait till we can hang out after the holidays, I miss you guys already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Id love to read some of your writing in addition to personal anecdotes. very curious about that graphic novel...:) wishing you tons of success this coming year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like reading snippets that you post here =) I'll look into Hopkins but I remembered to check back here a little late x_x I can still attend seminars and shadow doctors for it, I'm sure. There will be a way!

    ReplyDelete