05 January 2012

New Year!

Happy New Year everyone. :)

I've been absent from this blog for way too long, and for that I sincerely apologize. My goal for this semester/year is to be more on top of things. Time management is high on the priority list. So is taking care of myself physically and mentally. I have a huge list of things I'm doing this semester, and I really need stick to a strict schedule, otherwise things will fall apart like they did last semester. (Granted, last semester I walked away from my first semester in graduate school with a 4.0, but the personal cost was much too high. I was too stressed out, got far too little sleep, and was overall unhappy with my personal and professional performance.)

I've already gotten started on being proactive, tonight I send out my first submission of the year! It's a 4-page nonfiction graphic narrative. Here's a peek:


Leslie sitting and typing on laptop

Since I'll be doing a lot of this in the next few months, I figured it would be doubly appropriate.


The comic didn't take as long as I anticipated; I did forget how long it takes to color. Even though the whole comic is in greyscale (the first time I've attempted that) it still takes about two or three times as long as just inking the whole thing. I have to say, though, I'm rather pleased with the result. I've already given Sweet: A Literary Confection the first dibs on the comic; if they don't take it I'll have to see if I can find a home for it elsewhere.

My goal is to send out two sumbissions a month... It's a bit ambitious of a goal, but hopefully I'll be stubborn and keep up with it. On top of three graduate classes, being a GTA for the same two classes as last semester, and organizing/hosting a monthly reading series, it's going to be tight. Especially because I'll be attending three conferences in February! I'm helping host The Florida Writer's Project (the website is ugly, I know, I've been trying to fix that for months), being on a panel at Blank Pages: Creative Writing Symposium (alas, no website yet), and trekking all the way to Chicago for the AWP Annual Conference!

I'm looking forward to the semester, and hopefully you'll all hear from me on a biweekly basis. :]

1 comment:

  1. Well, I've hosted the picture in 3 different places and it still won't go up... so I'm sorry. It's set to my new profile picture, so you can see it that way. :)

    ReplyDelete